Thursday, April 23, 2015

GumTree Festival Singer-Songwriter Judge Grace Askew Q&A


First off, congratulations on winning the competition last year. How does it feel to return as the reigning champion?
I am so honored to be asked to remain involved in such a great community event. I wish there were more opportunities like this in the area for songwriters.

What do you feel helped you win the competition last year?
Just remaining true to myself helped me win the competition. Authenticity is what wins people over.

Is there less pressure on you this year since you won’t be competing?
I’ll certainly enjoy the event from the other side this time around, simply to gain a different perspective.

In your opinion, what elements have to be present in a song for it to be a winner? 
Songs that move me feel authentic, as stated previously. I want to feel like the artist is writing and singing about something they’ve personally experienced and that I can relate to myself.

Since you’ve been a contest participant, what are some of things you’ll take into consideration as a judge this year?
Confidence, originality, and structure.

How special is it to be judging a music competition in the hometown of The King of Rock ‘n’ Roll?
It certainly adds a unique and special air to things.

What are some of the qualities that you feel make someone a strong singer-songwriter?
Authenticity, respect for the muse and a total personal honesty.

As a competition winner, do you have any tips for this year’s competitors?

Be yourself, challenge yourself, trust yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment