Schedule of Events
Thursday, April 17
For more information or tickets, visit tupelofilmfestival.net
· Student Block
o 12:16 pm – 12:31 pm
§ “Cigarettes Burn Faster in the Sun” [PG-13]
· Patrick, Lea and Max are a gang of young misfits with a taste for trouble. On a dull au- tumn’s day, they have nothing to entertain them but their imaginations. They set out into the streets to find some fun but instead, find a corpse. ‘Cigarettes Burn Faster In The Sun’ is the grad film written and directed by Arbi Lawang from Melbourne, Australia.
o 12:32 pm – 12:57 pm
§ “Unconditional” [PG]
· Unconditional explores how the lack of second-parent adoption laws harm children and parents in same-sex families. A second-parent adoption, for an unmarried couple, allows a ‘second parent’ to adopt their partner’s biological or adoptive child without the legal parent losing their parental rights. The film follows two North Carolina fami- lies as they navigate the legal system and fight to obtain legal parental-child bonds. Watch them rise up and persevere against a legal system that fails to protect them.
o 1:00 pm – 1:11 pm
§ “Ice Queen” [G]
· Ice Queen is a story about a faded ice skater who works a dead-beat job at a local ice skating rink. With a past that haunts her, Natalie struggles to find a life after fame.
o 1:12 pm – 2:03 pm:
§ “Adelante” [G]
· ‘Adelante’ shows the heart of Mexico beating strongly inside an Irish-Catholic church just outside of Philadelphia.
· Q&A with filmmaker(s) following film
o 2:14 pm-3:45 pm
§ “The Long Drive Home” [PG-13]
· The Long Drive Home is a feature length dramedy portraying the dynamics of one southern family’s relationships from love and resentment to forgiveness and acceptance.
· Q&A with filmmaker(s)
· Short Block
o 3:51 pm – 3:59 pm
§ “No Matter How Far” [G]
· In an alternate present day, the world is in conflict. Intercontinental travel has been banned, separating millions of families around the world. Most have given up hope of returning home. A husband and wife, separated by a hemisphere, work to reunite.
o 4:00 pm – 4:20 pm
§ “Berxen Kulek” [G]
· Journey of a Kurdish nomad who had to make a difficult decision about his deceased brother’s wife and kid in order to provide for his horde in the tough Kurdish geography in the east of Turkey.
o 4:21 pm – 4:37 pm
§ “Valediction” [PG-13]
· This film is dark drama where the protagonist struggles to keep her relationship alive with the corpse of her recently deceased boyfriend.
o 4:48 pm – 5:43 pm
§ “Subsippi” [PG-13]
· subSIPPI is an honest portrayal of current day Mississippi; it is a search for diversity within a state that has otherwise gone unnoticed. With an emphasis on the moving im- age, subSIPPI conveys the stark realities as well as the vibrant optimism within a place that once prided itself as the Closed Society.
· Q&A With Filmmarker(s)
· Student Block
o 5:54 pm – 6:02 pm
§ “It Won’t Fit In A Killing Jar” [PG]
· A woman is haunted by her insect-loving husband’s death.
o 6:05 pm – 6:29 pm
§ “The Violinist” [G]
· A ten-year-old boy wants to be a violinist like his grandfather, but his father forbids it be- cause he does not want to pursue the same life that his grandfather did; the life of an artist following his dreams.
o 6:30 pm – 8:12 pm
§ “Seekers” [R]
· A spirit lost in limbo is approached by the universe and given the task of finding the key to happiness. He is granted the title The Seeker, and granted the power to walk the earth once again. With only hours left until his allotted time runs out, he tricks a vulnerable eighteen-year-old boy into helping him find the answer. The two end up partaking in a haphazard pursuit of happiness.
o 8:13 pm – 8:22 pm
§ “Light Me Up” [G]
· Meet the Wattsons. They’re spending some quality time together. In this short film, anima- tion and live-action are combined to tell a story about a family of light bulbs.
· Q&A With Filmmaker(s)
o 8:33 pm – 10:03 pm
§ “Confessions Of A Womanizer” [R]
§ What happens when a compulsive womanizer becomes best friends with a transgendered prostitute? Confessions of a Womanizer, a hybrid-improv film starring Gary Busey, C. Thomas Howell, Andrew Lawrence, Jillian Rose Reed, Kelly Mantle and The Bella Twins.
§ Q&A With Filmmaker(s)