Thursday, December 19, 2013

Mommy Claus: 3 Tupelo Moms' Perspective on Christmas Joy & Craziness

The Christmas season is a busy time of the year for everyone with Christmas parties, present buying and visiting family. This is all in addition to the year-round regular day-to-day activities. But there’s one family member that takes on the responsibility for making Christmas happen and that’s usually mom. So, as an appreciation for all the hard work mothers put into the Christmas season, we asked three Tupelo mama’s a few questions about their Christmas preparedness, triumphs and ideals.

Here are our three Tupelo mamas:

Name: Ashley Buse
Occupation: Pharmaceutical Sales
Kids: Tripp (5), Foley (3)

Name: Carley Johnston
Occupation: Stay at home mom
Kids: Maury (13), Lucy (10), Rebecca (8), Celia (5)

Name: Paige Scruggs
Occupation: Attorney
Kids: Savannah (8), Charlie (6)

And here is what they had to say:

1.) Where do you get your gift ideas?

Ashley: I get my ideas from each individual person I buy for. I try to pick up on things they say throughout the year and incorporate that into my gift purchases! My Christmas list: husband, 2 kids, parents, husband’s parents, my 2 sisters, their families, my sister in-law, her husband and kids and my husband’s grandparents.

Carley: I ask the girls, look online for ideas and ask other moms. Other moms are probably my best resource!

Paige: I now get my gift ideas directly from lists. For years I liked to buy things I thought my children should have: education toys, interesting books (read: encyclopedias and atlases), nifty sets of magnets and bars you can use to construct. I wanted them to learn to be imaginative. Those toys are gathering dust. Now I just want to get down to brass tacks. I want to know exactly what they want and that is exactly what I am getting.

2.) What is your approach to shopping for your family for Christmas?

Ashley: I am a year round shopper. If I find something that I love for a particular person on my list, I buy it. The only downfall to this is you find yourself buying too much for everyone!!
Carley: Online because of the convenience but shopping local is what I prefer. I have only sent my husband for a Black Friday special once – a couple of years ago. I usually avoid shopping on Black Friday, but I do like Cyber Monday.
Paige: Here is my approach: Every December I say to myself, “I am starting early next year. By November I will have mostly everything.” Then, I never do that and I am with all of the other crazies out there the week before Christmas trying to get my shopping done. I literally got the last of one certain gift in the WHOLE CITY OF BIRMINGHAM because I waited until the last minute. I called all of the possible stores, found ONE and then raced to get it. In my defense, I had completely forgotten my child wanted that gift until the last minute. Wait- is that a defense?

3.) How do you balance being a mother, Christmas shopping and the general busyness of the holiday season?

Ashley: A good husband!!! For our family nothing is 100% on me and for that I am thankful. I work a full-time job, as does my husband and we work as a team to make sure all of our bases are covered. If I need to get out and get some shopping, my husband keeps the kids and that allows me time to Christmas shop once I get off work or during the weekends.

Carley: Trying to balance everything is so difficult! I have tried to scale back on our Christmas and lower my own expectations on what will get done. Three of my daughters have birthdays between Thanksgiving and Christmas, so that adds to the list as well. School and church activities also take up a lot of time and add to all the clutter in my brain. Every year I say I am going to start earlier and be done by Thanksgiving. I know Christmas is the same time every year, but this year has been hard because Thanksgiving was late in November. It’s like December sneaks up on us moms!

Paige: Balance smalance. There is no balancing. The scale is terribly off kilter in one direction or the other at all times. Things are forgotten (including people) and cookies are burned. Sometimes certain “things” don’t get moved. (I have to be elusive here because my child can read.) I do the best I can to get it all done but it just simply doesn’t always happen. The sun will rise tomorrow though, so I try not to stress it.

4.) What is the most enjoyable part about Christmas shopping or is it just too stressful?

Ashley: Are you familiar with the 5 Love Languages? It breaks down 5 areas of how you feel most loved. My love language is definitely gifts. I feel loved by someone who gives me a gift, and you tend to show love to others the way you like to feel loved so therefore I really enjoy buying gifts. It’s the simple things that don’t cost much that mean the most to me. I really enjoy seeing someone’s face when they open a gift that they really wanted or were completely shocked by! It warms my heart.
Christmas shopping doesn’t stress me out at all. I am that person who walks in the door and hands someone a gift and demands them to open it right then because they are going to LOVE it!

Carley: I love finding a gift that I know that person will love, especially one that they haven’t even thought of to tell me. I get so excited about gift-giving! I just wish I had more time to really browse and find things that are unique and suit each person’s personality or likes. And I love to wrap gifts! I usually have to stay up extra late after the kids are asleep and wrap the gifts.

Paige: Oh, I love Christmas shopping! It is when I find the most things that I need. And yes, I enjoy shopping for others too. It doesn’t stress me to shop. It stresses me when I wait until the last minute and everyone is sold out of the one thing I need and expedited shipping costs $58.90.

5.) What was the most memorable gift giving Christmas?

Ashley: Of course, I have to say my engagement ring, right?! How could that not be the most memorable gift? I do, however, pick with my husband because I say the only reason we got engaged around Christmas was so he wouldn’t have to buy me any more gifts! Ha!

Carley: I still remember spending a lot of time shopping and wrapping when my oldest two daughters were toddlers. My daughter Lucy was most excited about the cookie she found left on Santa’s plate. I just laughed. All that frantic activity, money and time spent and an Oreo was her favorite thing that morning.

As a child I remember when I was about 10 or 11, I searched all over and found where my mother had hidden my presents. I even played with them! A day or two before Christmas, I could no longer live with the guilt. I went to my mother, sobbing, and confessed. I had no surprises that Christmas, and I had taken a lot of her joy away by finding all those presents. I learned a lesson that day and never looked for my presents again. My mother is still the best at buying gifts that are special and wonderful surprises for everyone. I really strive to do for my kids what she did for me as a child.

Paige: Hmmm. This one is tough. I suppose the most memorable so far was the year we gave our kids a trip to Disney. We went to the trouble of finding a huge box and filling it with helium balloons. I’m talking about blowing up helium balloons on Christmas Eve, putting them in a box (which is no easy feat-imagine trying to get all of the balloons in a box and the lid shut before they escape), taping it shut and wrapping an enormous box. It was a production. I was so proud.

The next day we got out a video recorder to capture their faces which were sure to express pure and unadulterated joy. What did we get? Nothing. No expression. They could not understand what their present was. They were 2 and 4. We blew that awesome present experience on babies. What a waste. They did enjoy Disney however, so I count it as a win.

6.) What is your greatest gift-giving triumph?

Ashley: I was on the phone with my mom last week, and we were trying to come up with things to give everyone for Christmas. We kept saying, I mean there is absolutely nothing we need! So she calls me today, and said she spent the money she would normally spend on us (us meaning myself, my sisters and our husbands) and went and bought a car load of toys for this single mom with four children who she overheard someone talking about they didn’t have anything. She said it just broke her heart and she couldn’t stand knowing those kids didn’t have any gifts. As tears rolled down my face, I told my mom that is what Christmas is about. Loving others as Christ loved us.

Carley: I can’t think of one! Maybe it will be this year! I do remember when I was pregnant with my first child I had all my shopping done before her due date, which was Thanksgiving. That was the only year I was that on top of Christmas shopping.

Paige: My greatest gift giving triumph is not Christmas related. My husband is impossible to surprise. When opening gifts he generally says, “Do you want me to tell you what it is?” Sucks the joy right out of gift giving. However, one year I managed to surprise him. We went to a Pittsburgh Steelers’ playoff game earlier in the year. I took the best pictures, the tickets and the Terrible Towel and had them framed together. It was a lot of work and effort. I completely surprised him and felt wholly validated as a gift giver. He was thrilled and very sweetly said that I had framed his Terrible Towel and now he would have to get another one. You.Are.Welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment